Friday, December 23, 2016

Carnival of Darkness (FaeTAL Series Book 1)- Becca Moree



Okay. So this book was actually gifted to me by the author when I joined her group on FB. I had heard about it in another group and thought the plot sounded like something I would be interested in. Her group on FB actually got me more and more interested as time went on and after watching her live feed and hearing her read the first two chapters, I just had to stop reading the Sookie Stackhouse series long enough to read this. Needless to say, I'm moving on to the second book in this series right away as I am hooked. 

I absolutely love horror, thriller and suspense along with a little romance. This book had absolutely all of that and then some. From the first line, I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I finished this book (though just a little over a hundred pages) in about an hour and actually screamed at the cliffhanger ending! No book has ever had me screaming at the end. None. Laughing out loud, maybe crying, yes, but not screaming. I needed more! I need to know what happens next! 

This book is definitely not for the feint of heart. There is very strong language and graphic content. I know, I know, how can a book be so bad? Trust me, it's gory. It was so well worded and so perfectly described (But not in that overly boring way that makes you want to move on to something more entertaining), that it literally felt like I was right there, in the middle of the COD, which is definitely NOT a place anyone should want to visit. Just when I thought I had seen/heard it all, Mrs. Moree takes it to a whole new level. There were times I was actually grossed out! Something else that a book has never been able to do. Until now. 

The writing in this book is so real. And I'm not talking about the fact that it exists. It's deeply real. The characters are so easy to relate to and they speak like actual normal people. Maybe it's because I, myself, sometimes find that I have a dark and twisted mind, but I found this to be such a, not really an easy read (because some of these descriptions will have you cringing in horror), but an enjoyable one? That doesn't really sound right either because now it sounds like I enjoy people getting maimed. I guess I'm not really sure how to describe it so that everyone else can understand. But it's definitely an amazing book.  

This book has surpassed my expectations far beyond anything else. I was expecting a cool, fun, good read. I had absolutely no idea that I would become so hooked in just 104 pages. There are not a lot of books that I go back to over time, but I just know that I will go back to this series time and time again. Especially when I feel a little dark and twisty. If I could give this book higher than a 5 star rating I most certainly would, but ratings are always out of 5 stars. 

Definitely a must read if you are into horror/suspense thrillers with a touch of romance thrown in! LOVED IT! 

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment