Monday, November 21, 2016

Revival-Stephen King




I hate not being able to finish a book, I really do, and I normally love Stephen King. But for some strange reason, I just could not seem to get into this book and I gave it until I was over half way finished with it, then I just couldn't go on anymore. 

The beginning actually started out pretty cool and I thought that meant that this book was going to be good, like the other Stephen King books I have read. 

We start off with a young boy who meets a priest that had just come to town. The two of them hit it off and the priest actually confides in the boy, telling him that his real passion is electricity. Then the boy witnesses the priest healing his brother's vocal cords after they had stopped working due to an accident and he begins to see this priest differently. Which was when the priest loses his wife and child due to a horrific accident and he seems to lose it. 

This is where this book began to lose me. We continue to follow this boy as he goes through life, joining a band, becoming addicted to drugs, etc. and then he runs back into this priest, who is actually no longer a priest, and he heals him of his drug addiction using electricity and then they part ways once again. Later on in his life, he learns that the priest is back to being a priest only this time as a revival healer using his electricity, despite the side effects it has on the brain, and the boy is determined to stop him. 

In all honesty, it didn't really feel like this book had a story line or plot. We are basically following this boy around as he lives his life and he occasionally runs into the priest. That's about it. There's no build, no urge to continue on to the next chapter. It honestly just felt like someone telling their life story and I'm not really big into autobiographies. Needless to say, this book is not my cup of tea and will be going back to the library before I finish it. 

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment